An explosion from a cooking gas leak at a steak restaurant in Bangkok’s Ratchathewi district injured seven people Wednesday.
Police and 10 fire engines answering an emergency call arrived at 12pm at the Bangkok Grill, in Soi Rang Nam, to find the restaurant on fire, its glass frontage shattered by the explosion and the kitchen gutted.
Four men, two women and a small child were rushed to Rajvithi Hospital. A Cambodian cook identified only as Tomy, 30, told police the kitchen crew had panicked after a 15kg cooking gas canister they were changing sprang a leak while ovens were operating. The owner of a noodle shop next door said the explosion had also damaged his shop.